Lunch Box Battles: Baked doughnuts
RENO, Nev. (Fox 11) —
Fox 11's Melissa Carlson joined Chef Lara Ritchie from Nothing to it Culinary Center for another edition of Lunch Box Battles. This week they made a tasty treat, baked doughnuts.
WATCH to learn more.
- 4 tbls butter
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, to taste
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly grease two standard doughnut pans.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until smooth.
- Add the eggs, beating to combine. Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla.
- Stir the flour into the butter mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour and making sure everything is thoroughly combined.
- Put the batter in a piping bag and pipe the batter into the wells, almost to the rim.
- Bake the doughnuts for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, and wait 5 to 7 minutes before turning them out of the pans onto a rack.
- For cinnamon doughnuts, shake warm doughnuts in a plastic bag with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup cinnamon-sugar. For sugar-coated doughnuts, shake doughnuts in a plastic bag with about 1/2 cup non-melting topping sugar (for best results), or confectioners' sugar.