Washoe County Schools: Free or reduced meals for eligible students
Students who qualify under the National School Breakfast and Lunch Programs may receive free or reduced breakfast and lunches.
The Washoe County School District participates in the national program.
The National School Lunch Program is a federal meal program which is offered in over 100,000 public and non-profit private schools around the country. It provides nutritional, low-cost meals to more than 31 million children each school day.
One application is used per household. All people living in the home must declare their individual income. Household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply for free or reduced price meals.
The school district's regular meal prices are as follows
Breakfast is $1.75 for elementary, middle, and high school. Lunch is $2.80 for elementary schools and $3.05 for middle and high schools.
Who is eligible to receive free or reduced-price meals?
- All children in households receiving benefits from Nevada SNAP, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or Nevada TANF, are eligible for free meals.
- Foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court are eligible for free meals.
- Children participating in their school's Head Start program are eligible for free meals.
- Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant are eligible for free meals.
- Children may receive free or reduced price meals if your household's income is within the limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.
Parents and guardians are able to deposit funds into their child's meal accounts by using a credit or debit card. You can register for an account by clicking here.
Other resources such as the Food Bank of Northern Nevada's "Kids Cafe Dinner Program" provide free meals to children after school and throughout the summer while they are out of school.
The Boys and Girls Club of Truckee Meadows also has a similar program to feed children in need. During the school year, children receive an after school meal, and during summer and school breaks, children receive breakfast and lunch.
To learn more about Washoe County School Dictrict's free and reduced meal program click here.