135 suspects arrested throughout Nevada for numerous felony charges
A U.S. Marshals-led operation conducted from August 20th to September 7th throughout Nevada has led to the arrest of 135 people wanted on numerous felony charges in multiple states and counties, 14 firearms and 2 kilograms of various narcotics seized.
Operation STAR combined the efforts of 21 state, local and federal law enforcement agencies, all working together on a common goal of combatting crime and reducing violence in the communities in which they live and serve.
The 3 week operation focused on fugitive arrests, gang enforcement, and sex offender initiatives, including joint operations to conduct compliance checks on registered sex offenders.
U.S. Marshals Service-led collaborative operations like Operation STAR aim to provide communities with immediate relief from gang-related violence by targeting fugitive gang members and the organizations responsible for committing violent crimes.
“The ability of agencies in Nevada to come together and work on a common goal was proven during Operation STAR,” said U.S. Marshal for the District of Nevada Gary Schofield. “The expertise of the USMS and all the participating agencies sends a clear message to the criminal element that we work together to form the modern posse to bring you to justice. The District of Nevada U.S. Marshals specifically target violent offenders with active local, state and federal arrest warrants.”
Operation Star notable arrests:
- Ruben CRUZ, arrested by Operation STAR Personnel in S.W. Las Vegas on a Parole Violation for Fraud. Multiple guns and a white powdery substance was seized from the residence during the arrest.
- Selvin Eduardo ZACENA-VALDEZ, arrested by Mexico Federal Authorities at the Tijuana Airport on 11 counts of Sexual Assault of a Child out of Sparks, Nevada.
- Zavier COMMINEY, arrested by Operation STAR Personnel in Clark County on a Homicide warrant out Dallas, TX.
Operation Star participating agencies:
- Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
- City of Las Vegas Department of Public Safety
- Henderson Police Department
- Homeland Security Investigations
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement
- Internal Revenue Service – Criminal Investigations
- Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department
- Nevada Department of Corrections
- Nevada Gaming Control Board
- Nevada Department of Public Safety – Parole & Probation / Highway Patrol / N.D.I.
- Nevada Office of the Attorney General
- North Las Vegas Police Department
- University of Las Vegas Police Department
- United States Secret Service
- United States Marshals Service - District of Nevada & Pacific Southwest Regional Fugitive Taskforce
- United States Postal Inspectors
- Reno Police Department
- Sparks Police Department
- Washoe County DA Investigator
- Washoe County Sheriff’s Office