Meals for 4 under $11: Easy Shepherd's Pie
RENO, Nev. (Fox 11) —
Steve Schroeder from Reno Street Food joined Fox 11's Melissa Carlson for another edition of Meals for 4 under $11.
This week, he made an Easy Shepherd's Pie.
WATCH to learn more.
EASY SHEPHERD’S PIE
- About 2 pounds potatoes **Kitchen hack – use 1 or 2 package of Instant Potatoes. Fast, easy.
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound 85/15 ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (12 or 16 ounce) bag frozen mixed peas and carrots –thawed
- 1 14 oz can creamed corn
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of the seasoning sauces of your choice (A1, Worcestershire Sauce, Heinz, Ketchup)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Chop the potatoes and boil in salted water until soft. Drain and mash with milk and butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. If you’re using instant mashed potatoes, mix according to package directions
- In a medium skillet, brown ground beef and onion adding salt and pepper to taste. Drain if necessary.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the seasoning sauces of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. When the hamburger is cooked; add peas and carrots and creamed corn. Let simmer 5 minutes.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan or 3-quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray, pour the meat and vegetable mixture in bottom of the pan. Spread mashed potatoes evenly over the meat mixture and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Switch oven setting to BROIL and heat the casserole until cheese on top is bubbly or lightly browned. Watch this as you don’t want burned cheese. It should only take about 2 minutes.
- Let this sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Meals for 4 under $11
Mornings on Fox 11
©2017 Steve Schroeder, Reno Street Food